It depends.

If you do a private or independent adoption (not through CDSS), you and the adoptive parents can make a written agreement about contact and sharing information about the child (called an Open Adoption Agreement). This agreement must be signed before the adoption is finalized.

It may include:

  • a plan for contact (visits, letters, or phone calls)
  • a plan for sharing information (like photos)
  • anything else you want to include

When the adoption is finalized, the court can include your agreement as part of its order.
If you later decide you do or do not want the child to contact you, just tell the parents if you do a private adoption, or the agency if you do an agency adoption. They will only give the child your contact information if you agree.


Comments (0)