You can

  • make an agreement with the other parent, or
  • ask for a court order.

It’s usually better to ask for a court order.

That way, the court can help you if you have problems collecting support.

The other parent will have to start paying support on the day any court papers are filed or served. (It does not start on the child’s birthday or the day the other parent promised to start paying.)

Important! If the other parent refuses to pay court-ordered child support, you or the local child support office can take the other parent to court to make him/her pay. The court may order child support to be taken from the other parent’s paycheck or bank account. There may be penalties if the parent does not pay.


Comments (0)