If the birth certificate does not list a father, but you have decided on who is the father, you  and the father must sign two forms.

  • Voluntary Declaration of Paternity/Paternity Opportunity Program Declaration (POP), and
  • Acknowledgment of Paternity/Parentage.

For more about forms, rights, and responsibilities of the father, read our Info for and About Fathers Guide here. 

You must file a court case if

  • the birth certificate lists a father, but you want to list a different father, or
  • you want to add the father’s name but he will not sign the Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage.

Learn more about this at www.cdph.ca.gov.


Comments (0)