It depends.

You must follow these travel rules.

If you have a custody order:
If your order has travel rules, you must follow them. The order will say where you can go with your child, and whether you need the other parent’s permission.

If you do not have a custody order and have not asked the court for one:
You may travel anywhere in the United States, but you should let the other parent know so s/he does not accuse you of kidnapping.

If you asked the court for a custody order but do not have it yet:
You may not leave California without the other parent’s written permission or a court order.

Important! If you want to travel without following these rules, you must get

  • written permission from the other parent, or
  • a court order that allows your travel plans.

Comments (0)