What if I use drugs or alcohol?

You can be charged with child abuse if

  • you use drugs or alcohol while pregnant and your baby is born with drug, alcohol, or other problems, or
  • you use drugs or alcohol a lot around your young child


What if we are not married?

If you are not married when the baby is born, the father is not legally recognized as the legal father, unless the mother or father asks a court to declare him the father or the father takes steps to claim and care for the child.