Does my foster parent get money for my child?


The state will increase the amount of money your foster parent or group home receives if your child stays there with you. The amount depends on whether you have custody of your child and the kind of foster home you are in.


Would CPS ask me to give up custody of my child?

CPS may ask you to give up custody if

  • it makes it easier for them to find a foster home for your child (even if you stay together), or
  • your social worker thinks you are not caring for your child well enough, but does not want to go to court to have the child taken from you.


Who is in charge of my child if we are together in foster care?

If you have custody of your child, you decide how to care for him or her—for example, how to feed and dress the baby, what to do when the baby cries, etc.

But if your child is also a foster child, a foster parent or caseworker will make decisions about the child’s day-to-day care.

A third option is called a Whole Family Foster Home (WFFH). That is when you have custody, but you and your foster parents together plan your child’s day-to-day care.