What if the hospital sends me a bill?

If the hospital sends you a bill from when you gave birth, call the hospital immediately to tell them that you need to apply for Medi-Cal to pay for the delivery. They may have people to help you apply.


What if I cannot deal with the baby after she’s born?

If you cannot deal with or do not want to keep the baby, you can

  • drop the baby off at a safe place, called Safe Surrender Site (you must do this within three days of the child’s birth)
  • arrange for the baby to be adopted. For more information, see Adoption.

What is Safe Surrender?

If you feel like you cannot keep your newborn baby, you can drop it off at a safe surrender site.  If you drop the baby off at a safe surrender site:

  • no one will ask you questions
  • you do not have to give your name or any other information
  • everything you say will be kept a secret
  • the baby will be safe and cared for