Child support is the money that one parent pays the other parent to support their child.
To get child support, you must start a child-support case. You can do this on your own or with your local child support agency (LCSA).
Your LCSA can
- try to find your child’s other parent,
- determine the child’s father with DNA testing,
- ask the court to order him/her to pay monthly child support,
- collect the child-support money, and
- help make sure the child-support order is obeyed.
It takes LCSA several months to start a case. To learn about starting your case on your own, see www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp.htm.