Once the forms are submitted for the birth certificate, the information becomes final and only can be changed by a judge in court.

If you have a family law case (like custody or child support), the judge can change the baby’s name as part of a family-law case.  Otherwise, you must follow these steps:

  1. Fill out court forms and file them at court. (The clerk will give you a date for a hearing.)
  2. Give the father legal notice of the hearing.
  3. Publish a notice in the newspaper four weeks in a row, one day per week.
  4. Go to the hearing.

Comments (0)