That depends.

Child Protective Services (CPS) cannot take your child from you just because you are in detention. But if you do not have a safe place for them to live, they can place your child in a foster home.

If this happens, they may start the process to end your parental rights, especially if

  • you cannot find someone you trust to care for your child,
  • you will be in detention for longer than a few months, and
  • your child is under 3 years old.

If you will be in detention for more than a few days, find a safe home where your child can stay. Ask someone you trust, like a relative or friend. If possible, make these plans before you go to the detention center.


Comments (0)