To get a work permit, follow these steps:
- Get a job offer.
- You and the person who wants to hire you must fill out a form. You can get the form at your school or from www.dir.ca.gov.
- Your parent or guardian must also sign the form unless you are emancipated.
- Take the signed form to your school. They will give you the work permit.
- If you have more than one job, you need a different permit for each job.
- Renew your work permit at the start of each school year.
Important! Your school can take away your work permit if they think the job is hurting your schoolwork or health.
If you are not a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, learn more about work-permit rules in the Immigration section of this guide.