It depends. To avoid getting deported, make sure you obey the laws, and stay away from people who do not obey the law.

Many people who are detained by Immigration were first stopped or arrested by the police. For example, the police may stop you or someone you are with for a traffic violation. Even if you are not charged with a crime, the police can turn you over to Immigration. Then you could possibly get deported.

However, the police will help you if you are a crime victim.

The police must help anyone who calls to report a crime and anyone who needs help.

It does not matter how young you are, whether you have a record, whether you are in foster care or on probation, or whether you are an undocumented immigrant.

If you are an immigrant, the police should not turn you over to Immigration for reporting a crime, and you should not have to answer questions about your immigration status.

You CANNOT be deported if you go to court to ask for paternity or custody papers. 

In the U.S., anyone, including undocumented immigrants, can ask the court for orders. The courts are not allowed to consider the parents’ immigration status when they make custody, paternity, and other family-law orders.

If you go to court to ask for child support, it’s also unlikely that you’ll be deported for doing so. The courts make child support, paternity, and other family-law orders without considering the parents’ immigration status. Even if you are undocumented, you probably do not have to worry about getting deported or getting in trouble when you go to court.

If the other parent is undocumented, though, it may be difficult to get an order and collect child support.

Exception: The court will consider your immigration status if one of you is asking to take the child out of the country or is being deported.


Comments (0)