Even if you do not qualify for some Medi‑Cal programs, your baby may still qualify.
- If you have full-scope Medi‑Cal when you give birth, your baby is automatically covered for a year. It does not matter if you lose coverage later. Many hospitals will help you apply for Medi‑Cal when your baby is born.
- After the baby is born, Medi‑Cal will not count your parents’ income, even if you live with them, so long as you apply just for the baby.
- The Child Health and Disability Prevention program (CHDP) provides free regular check-ups for children. Your child is eligible for CHDP if she is under 21 and has Medi‑Cal, or is under 19 with a family income below the limit.
- To find a CHDP doctor or clinic, visit www.dhcs.ca.gov.
- If you or your baby’s other parent is Native American, you may be able to get other health care. For more information, visit www.ihs.gov.