Yes. If someone has hurt you or your child (or has tried or threatened to do so) you can ask the court for a special order that will protect you. It’s called a restraining order.

The restraining order will tell the other person to do or not do certain things. For example, the order can tell the other person to stay away from you, your work, your car, your home, or your child.

The court should about the order on the same day or next business day after you file. If the court thinks you or your child is in danger now, the judge will make a temporary restraining order (TRO, for short).

Important! If you do not speak English well, you can ask a court clerk to send an interpreter for your court hearing when you file your papers at court.


Comments (0)